Skip to main content

Three Tricks for Frugal yet Fabulous Living

Rebecca Bloomwood in the movie Confessions of a Shopaholic illustrated an algorithm that many women find themselves using in the middle of an internal cost-justification debate. Take the total cost of let’s say the Naked Palette by Urban Decay which comes in at a cool $50. Now, divide the total cost by the number of times you anticipate using the product, and then you will have an accurate and indicative measure of the “true cost” of the product. 
I’ve used this self-rationalization many a time, which has not only improved my mental math skills (or really just given my calculator app a workout) but also has made my pocketbook quite light.
For those times when you’ve used the cost-per-use formula a bit too often and you’re looking to save on beauty products, here are a few tips and tricks.


1. DIY
Sometimes the priciest parts of a makeup regime are not the cosmetics themselves,
but the products needed prior to application. Here are some do-it-yourself tricks:
For a UV-safe base coat, combine one to three parts of foundation with your favorite sunscreen. This DIY tinted moisturizer gives you control over the sheerness of the product and level of SPF protection.
Another cost-saving DIY for when you want that dewy movie-star glow without a Hollywood price tag can be found in an innocuous bottle of glycerin. Glycerin is a lipid which allows it to suck up the moisture from the air as it clings to the surface of your face, unlike water which will absorb into the skin. A few spritzes of this stuff will transform a thick matte look into a dewy finish.

2. Upkeep
Whether you spend $6 or $65 on a set of brushes or nail polish, it’s important to store and take care of your products properly to get the most use out of them. Brushes are the best example of a beauty product worth splurging on. A nice stippling brush can turn your foundation from a 101 Dalmatians-splotchy to a chic airbrushed finish. Use some Ulta coupons to save some money on your splurge.
Without spending a bucket load on brush cleaners, I’ve found that a gentle baby shampoo is the best substitute for keeping your brushes clean from time to time. As for other products, keep them out of the heat, away from light, and safe from excessive moisture.

3. Get creative
Just because it’s shaped like lipstick doesn’t mean it’s got to go on your lips. Don’t be afraid to use products in non-traditional ways. The best bronzer I’ve used was actually a light cream I created using a dusty metallic eyeshadow mixed with a few spritzes of glycerin.  You can use the same technique to transform hues of eyeshadow into light lipsticks, blushes, eyeliner, or even vice versa. Play around with consistency of your mixing medium of choice, and the possibilities are really endless.
So if you find yourself standing in line for this season’s wait list-only Chanel shades doing some cost per use calculations in your head, do your bank account a favor by saving a few dollars and following the tips above. 

(Guest post by Amreen) 
Amreen is a writer for NerdWallet Shopping, a site dedicated to bringing you the best discounts and tips on saving money. She loves to get creative with her beauty products to create her own looks. Amreen can't wait until Black Friday 2012, when she'll shop with the biggest discounts of the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syoss Professional Performance Repair Therapy Shampoo - Review

Syoss Professional Performance Repair Therapy Shampoo During my visits to Germany, I spend a lot of time watching TV commercials, because of the only reason that I can somehow understand bits and pieces of them. I wasn't intending to buy any huge bottles, during my last trip, but I was so much intrigued by Syoss's continuous ads on the television, that I decided to give it a shot. I bought Syoss professional repair therapy shampoo from Muller mall, Germany. It has been 3 months now, since I've been using this shampoo and hence thought of reviewing it here. Check the ad below: What does the brand say about this product? He he..Let me translate that for you: Syoss - professional hair care products: Powerful varieties of high-quality care ingredients for perfectly groomed hair - every day, like right in accordance with the cultivated salon hairdresser. The high-quality care products repair damaged and dry hair, SYOSS Repair Therapy with rich nourishing

Olay Natural White Lotion With Mulberry Leaf Extracts - Review

Olay Natural White Lotion With Mulberry Leaf Extracts  The best way to spend four hours of waiting period in Dubai transit is to do shopping. In all the shopping I did there, I bought this particular lotion as well. The main reasons behind buying this lotion were: 1) I wanted to try Olay as a brand as I’d heard a lot of good stories about it. 2) I wanted a light moisturizing face lotion that has SPF, UVA/UVB protection and could be worn easily below my foundation for day wear. Olay Natural White Lotion With Mulberry Leaf Extracts Price: $10 Quantity: 30 ml What does Olay say about its Natural White lotion ?

Neutrogena Moistureshine Gloss - Review, Swatches

Neutrogena Moistureshine Gloss - Review I began to use Neutrogena brand long back, when I was in US. The first product I bought of this brand was a liquid foundation, which was my first foundation of all. And, as expected I chose the wrong shade and had to throw it away. The second thing I bought sometime back was this Neutrogena Moistureshine LipGloss , which apparently happens to be my first tinted lipgloss too, as before this I was used to only lipsticks or lip balms.It took me a while to get used to the concept of glosses. I bought the shade 04 Glimmer: Neutrogena Moistureshine Gloss Like usual glosses, it comes